One way or another dementia will affect us all at some point in our lives.
Whether we are family members looking after our loved ones or are care partners who have been entrusted with their well being, learning more about dementia, coupled with hands on skills, will help us to have a positive effect on the lives of others.
Understanding exactly what dementia is, how it affects others, and understanding what skills will help, cultivates more positive, compassionate care.
We can all do something to help others and it starts with awareness.
CUSTOMIZED DEMENTIA TRAINING
Yvette Gagnon has years of experience in serving others who are living with brain change & helping Care Partners see it from the other side. She is a Certified Dementia Practitioner, Certified Dementia Trainer & Consultant, who has studied under Teepa Snow, one of the world’s leading educators in dementia and the care that accompanies it, through Positive Approach to Care® (PAC) training. Yvette is committed to helping others including communities, organizations, families, care partners both professional and private build awareness, understanding and skills to best support those living with dementia. Training is built around specific objectives and are customized based on requested outcomes. Sample outlines are below.
Why choose Positive Approach to Care® training?
All workshops are tailored to meet your individual goals and designed to be delivered in communities, for businesses, care facilities or any group interested in learning more about dementia.
- You will learn and practice hands on skills needed to feel successful in your interactions with those who are living with dementia, which can reduce or minimize common challenges.
- You will be able to identify ‘unmet physical and emotional needs’ quicker, thus lessening the challenges that may have resulted otherwise.
- You will improve your business culture by giving your staff the tools they need to succeed and feel supported in their day-to-day interactions with those that are living with dementia
- Learn about the brain, dementia progression and the different types of dementia.
- Learn to identify and respond to unmet needs.
- Develop Positive Approach to Care® techniques, improving outcomes of those living with dementia and those who provide care:
- Positive Personal Connections (PPC)
- Positive Action Starters (PAS)
- Positive Physical Approach® (PPA)
- Hand-Under-Hand® (HUH) guiding and assisting
- Get hands on training and reflection, learners will apply skills and understand the PAC philosophy and why its important in day to day care.
- Learn what dementia is, how it affects others and its progression
- Understand what you and your staff can do as a business to support those living with dementia in your community.
- Consider what you can do as a business to recognize and support staff who may also be caregivers.
- Be ready with simple and effective strategies to help both front line and behind the scenes staff to communicate effectively with those living with dementia.
- Understand the differences between what normal aging is and what is not.
- Learn what makes for a dementia friendly community
- How best to support those who are living with dementia by seeing it from the other side.
- Understand the most common causes of dementia and how it progresses
- Look at key communication strategies to help others live well
- Understand the differences between normal versus abnormal aging
- Understand dementia, its progression, and the journey ahead
- Build communication and supportive strategies
- Learn more skills, and identify support and resources
Across the board the students indicated that your workshop was by far the favourite. Thank you so much for stepping in and doing such a great job in such a short period of time. I will happily recommend you.” – Kate – Literacy Nova Scotia
“Yvette, I really appreciate all you have done for the Northwood Homecare team! I would like to discuss future sessions, the staff have found them to be beyond beneficial and I have more staff interested in attending.” – Kim – Northwood Homecare Staff Educator
“The class really enjoyed the dementia training. You were absolutely wonderful!”
“Yvette is very knowledgeable and really understands and has a passion for what she presents.”
“I thought the session was great- well organized, interactive, visuals, great information. Yvette was great in all ways! I highly recommend the session with her.”
“Very well informed, I found the class very informative.”
“Great Class, Great Teacher”